Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I decided to re-name my blog from "Sewing Cloth Diapers for Baby #2" to "Wheeler Creations-Sewing With Love" because my little girl isn't going to be in cloth diapers forever. I have now started to not only sew her some diapers, but venture out to other things as well. I still hope you will enjoy reading this blog as much as I have making it. I will still periodically make diapers from time to time. It's a passion of mine, and I won't stop that.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Here are some pictures of Dani sporting her new skirt that I made for her. It's a bit long, and a bit big around the waist, but that just means more room for it to grow later on. She will be able to wear this skirt for quite some time in the next few years. I had it rolled up around her waist to fit her better, so it would have been even longer if I had it on her the right way.
I love the middle picture of her! It's her saying "cheese" to the camera! Which, these days she loves to do!
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Danica is getting to the age that she will soon be potty trained within a year or so. While I've enjoyed making her diapers, and I still will :), I know that she will be out of them soon. That is why I thought I would start to try and make her clothes now. I got this material from Sarah at www.wallypop.net. It is a lovely blue cotton print with gold sticks and snowflakes on it. It was free, and I know with snowflakes it doesn't really work for the summer, but I had to try this out. I got the idea from this pattern. I had to make my own measurements so they would fit Danica well. I haven't had a chance to try it on her yet, but will do as soon as I can tomorrow.
This skirt didn't take very long to make. I think all together it took about 2 hours or so. It was the first time I have ever made anything like this before, also the first time for me to do gathering. EEEEKKKK!!!! But I think I did okay! I did see one flaw, one of the seams didn't match up together, but that is only ONE out of three layeres of material. I know that I would like to try this pattern again for Danica. I have other things that I would like to try out first though. I will post a picture of her in this skirt sometime tomorrow, so I can see how it fits her.
Saturday, June 6, 2009
I got this pattern from my cousin to try out for Danica. I cut out the largest setting as she is 26 to 27 pounds, so I know that she won't fit into anything smaller. :) It turned out nice! The hard part about this diaper was serging the small corners. I kept cutting my material for the one side of the flap. I had to tuck it all in, and then serge around it.
The soaker, which is here was simple to do. I used four layers for it. Two of the bright orange matierial, and then two of my receiving blanket I had. The diaper itself is 3 layers. It consists of two orange pieces and then one of the receiving blanket. When folded correctly, and if I'm adding right, it's 16 layers in the front. Which, if I decide to make this diaper for an overnight diaper, I will use this many layers. Especially in the front, since she sleeps on her tummy. :)
I really liked this pattern a lot. It was easy, and quick to make. I may modify it a bit in my own way. I know I needed to make the rise a bit longer, and if I use touch tape again, then I will need to cut that longer also for the front tab. All in all it turned out good! I can't wait to make another one!